Tuesday 7 December 2010

Poignant Movies

Today I have been up and down. Physically and a little emotionally.
Not only was I up and down the stairs cleaning the house and tidying etc., but I watched 2 movies that brought you up and down: Rent and Remember Me. And both with the audio commentary.
Despite the voice-overs of both cast and crew, I was still swept up in the story. Both films are ones that make me think and all the characters are relatable.
Rent might be a musical, but it's the most real musical I've ever seen. Jonathan Larson was a genius. I cry every time I watch (SPOILER ALERT) Angel's funeral.
The lyrics make a point about how fleeting life is and that's what gets me thinking and leaves me feeling rather sombre.
The same with Remember Me. I can relate to Rob Pattinson's character most.
(God this is sounding like a movie review)
But I am always amazed by the ending of this film. I first saw it at the cinema and I did not see that ending coming. And I totally get the point of it. (SPOILER ALERT) And director Allen Coulter said that it was a reminder that normal, real people died on 9/11; they were going about their normal day when their lives were tragically cut short.
I can't get over how good both movies are. Because they're both about real people you can meet in the street. They have universal messages that I think are very honest and true.
I know that life is fleeting - that's why I live in the present; because the future is scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment